Tuesday, February 12, 2019

On Cavegirl's Horrible Wounds in OSR games

Hmm. Logically, I absolutely adore the idea to mutilate player characters. Secondly, I like to give my completetly new players the chance to keep their characters, but still let them learn a lesson.
So it isn't surprising that I absolutely am in love with cavegirls rules for horrible wounds, but I have one problem with it.
I know, mechanics aren't everything, but where is realistically the difference between a mutilated bodypart and a missing one? In my campaign, I handwaved it and let the characters heal the mutilated bodyparts after chilling out for a week, but this left me with a bitter aftertaste that I'm maybe to soft with these murderhoboing fucks.
But I remembered. I was a GURPS GM for some time (still adore the system). As you maybe know, GURPS has a shit-ton of mechanics to choose for your game, like a wounds mechanic. It wasn't as streamlined, but if I remember correctly, you had to roll under your HT to determine how bad your wound is.
Hey, why not use this idea with Cavegirls rule? I'm a genius.

Ruined Bodyparts
After combat, make a is-your-bodypart-super-fucked-up check.
(This can be anything: save vs poison, roll 1d20 or 3d6 under CON, I don't care)

If you fail, your use of that bodypart is really fucking impaired. Shit, maybe you'll never use it again. It is healed in 1d4 exploding months. Maybe a tendon is badly torn, a bone is horribly splintered or muscle tissue is ripped apart. (This is essentially forever in games)

If you pass the check, your bodypart isn't even that fucked up. It will take 2d6 days to regenerate. Take some days off, spend your loot for exp in town, everything will be alright.

optional:
If the check is a crit success, your bodypart will be fine the next day. Lucky!
If you crit-fail the check, you'll get a nasty infection that will probably kill you on top of it! Have fun!

Make that checks as difficult as you like. I'm a softie, so I'd make it probably easy, with 3d6 under CON as a check.

No comments:

Post a Comment