Monday, February 18, 2019

Restocking the dungeon Part 1

These fuckers will never see that coming.

If you read my blog, you'd find out that my players are pretty new. They almost cleared out the dungeon, with only 17 Troglodytes and 13 Undead left from the original 27 and 24. My players will probably not expect the dungeon to be a dynamic thing that reacts to their actions, so I thought about why not try to emphazise the fact?

The Troglodytes, annoyed at the impotence of the undead of the blue baron, freed themselves and another faction found the dungeon and got inside it. There are now three different competing bodies inside, ignoring the clerics of the sungod and the party, which is a point I'll speak about.

The players are bound to the church, which asked for their help. But what if that weren't the case? What if there was a competing force that could either a) help them or b) be good cannonfodder for them?

I thought about it.

NECROMANCERS!
NECROMANCERS WHO WANT TO INQUIRE THE POWER THAT HAD RAISED THE BLUE BARON!

I know right, boring as fuck, that was my first thought. So I threw it away for the time being. Maybe Goblins? Nah. Maybe Kobolds? Nah, they'll get their debut later, I'd love to play them out as vietkong inspired vicious guerilla combatants, so I'd keep them for some time later.
My buddy Richard, who isn't part of my osr group talked about how he'd like to play a ratfolk some time and I thought: Man ratfolk don't sound too bad, don't they? Maybe ratfolk necromancers? I mean, my murderhobos would surely love to learn how to control the undead that plague the land, those edgy fucks. Actually that could be it, right? A faction that stands as a contrast to the priests of the sun, who try to free as much souls as they can. A faction of bestial monsters, opposed to the somewhat edgy, but human clerics. A faction that can't help out in giving food, shelter and safety, but a faction that gives uncertainty, forbidden knowledge, maybe riches otherwise unobtainable.

I sold myself on the necromancer idea, fuck!
But ratfolk are still boring. So I came up with:

source: v-e-r-a 
I know, I am, like, super creative.
But think about it. They're disgusting. They're monstreous. They're alien. But they're sophisticated enough to learn the cosmic truths of life and death. What do these curious creatures know?

Alright, why theyre in the dungeon. They're a small clan of scholars. They're really curious and are really interested in undead getting raised on their own. Raising undead is really difficult magic, but nature does it all the time. Now with the Troglodytes busy fighting against the undead, they quickly invaded some rooms and enslaved some of the dead. They got fine, intricate tools for analysing magical energies and are very good craftsmen regarding fine tools and crafts. They don't have pity in other humanoids and are almost sociopathic in their behavior, but they aren't dumb, they can be allies or tradepartners. That should do it for their personality.

They want:
The blue baron gone.
The troglodytes gone.
Humanoid bodies, for food and labor.

They offer:
Alien looking crafts made of gold, bronze and chitin.
magical training in controlling the undead.
some dialogue with an exotic and weird race.
peace.

They have (If taken from them):
2 magic oils that can raise undead
spellbooks
Alien looking crafts made of gold, bronze and chitin.
vengeance.

Relationships to other factions:
Troglodytes - Bad, troglodytes are quite aggressive
The Undead -Neutral to Bad, they see them as a dangerous natural phenomenon
The Clerics of the Sun - No contact until now, would absolutely hate eachother.

Stats:

Cockroach People
DAC/AAC 6 / 14 HD 1+1 (5 hp) Att 1 x Weapon (1d8 or by Weapon) THAC0/AB 19 / 1 MV 120'(40') SV D13 W14 P13 B16 S14 (MU2) ML 8 AL chaotic XP 20 Leader: 35 NA 1d6 (4d6) TT F
Magic:
Cockroach People can cast spells as a level 1 magic-user and have a magic book containing 3 random spells.
Undead Servants:
Cockroach People groups often have undead servants:
50% 1d6 Skeletons 30% 1d4 Zombies 10% 1d3 Ghouls
Leader:
Groups of 20+ are led by a Cockroach Person with 3HD (16 hp) that can cast as an level 3 magic-user.

That should do it for stats.
Next post I'll populate the dungeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment